The Joy of Womanhood

"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity."

-Margaret D Nadauld, YW General President

Monday, March 10, 2008

Sunday Blood

I have a pretty good life - I probably don't have my fair share of really bad days. I am hoping that yesterday is not the beginning of a new trend.
Yesterday was probably one of the worst days ever for me! I am currently a Primary teacher for the CTR 5 class. They are 4 and 5 years old. There were 14 kids in the class, and they finally split the class last week so I only have 7. I absolutely love teaching this age (and I love it even more now that the class size is manageable) - they always say the most hilarious things...
Anyway, I only had 4 kids yesterday - you would think it would have been an easy day for me! As it turns out, it wasn't. I think the time change put the kids off their regular schedules so they were a little crazy!
My class consisted of 1 girl and 3 boys. The little girl, Kennedy, needed a "handkerchief" so I took her to the bathroom (which is right next to our classroom) to get a tissue for her nose. In the 15 seconds I was gone, disaster struck! I come out of the bathroom with Kennedy and all 3 boys are standing outside with panic stricken faces, and one of the boys - Thomas - has blood on his fingers from the back of his head - I know I was gone for less than 1 minute! I could hardly believe this was happening!
Anyway, so I make them all go back into the classroom while I take Thomas to find the primary secretary. While she went to find his mom, I got a wet paper towel and started to wipe the blood off of his fingers and neck. I asked him how this happened -

Thomas (in his adorable 4 year old voice): "Well, I was trying to pick up Eliot."
Me (in my trying not to cry voice): "Do you think that was a good choice?"
Thomas: "No."

Then Thomas' mom came and asked him what happened. Luckily, Thomas is her 3rd boy and she is a pretty relaxed mom. She asked him the same questions I did (which made me feel good considering my state of emotions!). I told her I was sorry that this had happened and explained that I was gone for less than a minute. She was very good about it and took Thomas to finish cleaning him up.

After church I had a little cry session with John about it. He is such a wonderful husband and always manages to put things into perspective - "They are boys!" I guess I was thinking that they would be fine for a few seconds... but I forgot about the "boy" factor! I still felt bad, but have made sure to put a pack of tissues in my primary bag so I don't have to leave the room.

I called Thomas later to make sure that he was still okay - which he was, thankfully! It was just a little scratch. Can I just say how lucky I am that it was this child it happened to? His parents are very easy-going and laughed about the incident. They told me that Thomas is their "head-injury child." Apparently, he is constantly getting bumps and bruises on his head and this was no surprise to them. And his mom said they had a long talk about being reverent and not picking other people up at church! Perhaps this incident will turn out to be a little blessing in helping him be more reverent - and then again, maybe not!

3 comments:

The Vance's said...

haha this is kinda funny!!!

Unknown said...

Hadn't read your blog since before Disneyland or I would have given you a bad time about this. JOB is right - Boys! - as you are learning with Braxton. As long as he was upright and talking, a little blood is no big deal! Every boy needs a few good bragging scars.

Laura Jean said...

I'm glad that you missed out on that opportunity! :)

Braxton is making sure that I learn all about the "boy" factor! He is 200% boy and is having great fun showing me just how dirty and messy he can get!