The Joy of Womanhood

"Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity."

-Margaret D Nadauld, YW General President

Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Great Deception...

Some of you may know my husband, John, who will eat anything and everything - unless it has the word healthy attached to it. He's actually a lot better than when we first got married, but still likes to put up a good fight about vegetables and fungus.

I however, grew up in a household where salt and sugar were usually left out of recipes. We were not given a choice on whether to eat the peas - you ate them whether you liked them or not. My older brother was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 3 years old (I was 1), and my mom, who takes her mom duties seriously, cut out a lot of things from our diet (and in reality, I think I have her to be grateful to for me not being seriously overweight) - no sugared cereals, no stashes of goodies; we even had sugar-free candy for Easter... everything was low-fat, low-cholesterol... it was the complete works!

And even though I rebelled to this as a youngin', time would prove that I actually enjoy eating healthy, and my body tends not to do to well when I eat stuff loaded with fat and sugar and salt. In college I found that I really enjoyed my nutrition class, and I ended up graduating with a BS in Dietetics! Is anyone seeing the irony in my marriage yet?

So, over the years (almost 9 of them) I have tried hard to get John to eat healthier...and he has rebelled almost as hard! So, I started being a little sneaky... by chopping things up really small, or telling him it was something else...anything to get some sort of nutrients into him!

I've been worried about how Braxton will see this, and worried he will decide he doesn't like to eat vegetables either...but then this cookbook came out....

And it really helped me get over the guilt of deceiving...and it has even helped me do it! I have posted the latest recipe that was successfully deceiving on my recipe blog. It is super yummy, and I feel good about getting a few good vitamins and minerals into my slightly stubborn husband! :)

1 comments:

biglittlebro said...

I can honestly say the food is pretty good with the vegetables in it. It blands down the flavor a bit but I feel it's worth getting the extra nutrients. Love you babe, you're the best.